Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Defining Moments


I'm jumping through the hoops to get onto Spotify right now.  The process of defining my music well enough for it to be categorized always makes me a bit queasy, as if I'm cooking something unhealthy that I don't even like to eat.

Back in the waybackwhen days I tried desperately for about a decade to get a manager.  I sent out cassette tapes and endless reams of photocopied promo packs with newspaper articles and carefully typed up reviews.  I had this idea that if I could just get one person on my side, just one person to represent the music, I could make a dent. 

When the rejection letters came rolling in, they had a common theme.  They loved my music, they thought they could sell my looks and personality, I had a fantastic voice - but they needed me to sing something else.  Or write different music.  Not because what I was doing was poorly done, but because there was no way for them to sell it, or me, as there was no category that I fit in.  As one fellow put it, "You're not pop, you're not R&B, you're not classical, you're not soul, you're not rock, and you're all those things. Pick one."

These days there are categories for vocal driven music that I fall into naturally.  I don't fit 100% but well enough so I can sneak into and perch in the corner until I'm discovered and tossed out.  Back when MP3.com was a thing I was able to stay in their World Music section for years. Nowadays I use the Alternative Music category and get emails from folks yelling at me for putting "weird stuff" in their preferred section. 

I don't think my music is that odd, to be honest.  Perhaps it's because I'm living with it everyday. Perhaps it's because the structures I'm using are often verse chorus based and that's relentlessly normal (well, tbh the next CD has a lot of not-that-normal-of-a-structure pieces on it).  Or maybe it's because most of the time my arrangement may be voice only but they do mirror standard rock/pop frequency spreads.

It's my hope, my prayer, my belief that the work I'm doing has value and merit of its own accord.  That no matter what the arrangement, there's a method to the madness and that people don't need or even want to have music so rigidly assigned and defined.  That eventually all music will define its own category.

In the meanwhile, I'm checking off the "Alternative" box in the Spotify application.  Wish me luck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment